Friday, October 15, 2010

Mothering Instincts and Queso

I think the mothering instincts are kicking in.

On the way home from my six month check up (baby is doing awesome, by the way), I decided to fulfill the craving I had been having for two days for Chik fil a. (As an almost vegetarian before this pregnancy, I sure think about meat an awful lot lately. I dreamed last weekend about bacon followed by another dream two days after that about hamburgers.) I had this manic craving for a chicken sandwich that had to be fulfilled. I sat in traffic forever before I almost made it to that blessed chicken store when I got diverted by -Izzo's. I pulled a sharp right turn into the parking lot. The chicken sandwich gradually danced out of my thought bubble to be replaced by fabulous, gooey nachos. Yum. I haven't had an overwhelming amount of pregnancy cravings, but I've been having them more recently. Also, I hadn't eaten a long time. Pregnancy + cravings + manic hunger = this story.

I ordered the nachos to go, but when I got in the car I realized that home was nearly 30-40 minutes away. So I ate just a few to satisfy my rumbling tummy (and then a few more.....and a few more) and headed on the road. I placed the queso in the passenger seat next to me. I was about 25 minutes into the drive that I realized that every time I braked, I protectively shot out my hand to save the queso. Whenever there was a lull in traffic, I found myself lovingly rearranging the queso so that it didn't tip over.

Sometimes I worry about what kind of mother I'm going to be. If I care about my kid as much as I cared about that queso, I think I'm going to be okay. Especially if my baby is particularly delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I love this. And I miss you. (And I know you're going to be a fantastic mother.)

    ReplyDelete