Monday, December 3, 2012

Good morning, little loves

I recently gave birth to another little beauty. I love this stage where they're still small and floppy and cross-eyed and perfect. 

The toddler years, on the other hand, challenge me on every. single. level.

Being a mother can be isolating. After a few rough days, I find myself thinking crazy things. Like that my kid is plotting against me, trying to push my buttons, that she's out to get me.

And then I take a deep breath, make a cup of tea and call someone who has more than 300 words in their vocabulary to try and undo the crazy I'm feeling. And I repeat to myself.....They're basically brand new to the world. They're still learning. I'm still learning. The way I respond to this behavior lays the groundwork for how they will learn to behave. Patience.

I was feeling guilty about this until recently when I read a blog post where a mom confessed that she doesn't really love babyhood, but is really enjoying her older children. Somehow just reading another mom's experience soothed my heart, reassured me that it's okay to feel this way. The fact that I struggle with a certain child's temperament or stage she is going through is not a reflection of how much I love her. 

What's important is the way I strive to grow personally so I can meet her where she's at in her little life. Is she frustrated? How can I demonstrate peace? Is she grumpy when things don't go her way? How can I exemplify joy in all situations?

The years go by so fast, but a mother's day is incredibly long. This song has given me so much encouragement and perspective this week. I've been singing it to my girls and dancing with them in the kitchen :) You can listen to it here.


[VERSE]
Good morning
You and the sun are up before I'm ready
But ready or not, you need me
So here I am

I'm learning that in the long hard days

There is beauty
Do you know my favorite place to see it
It's when I look at you

And though I'm tired now

You're worth every sleepless night
You're worth it all, cause I know...

[CHORUS]

You're the best song I'll ever write
And we're humming and dancing through the years together
You're the best song I'll ever write
And I pray you'll hear Jesus in it when you're older

[VERSE]

I remember when you were just a heartbeat that I heard
and now our eyes meet
Forever is not enough to love you

No comments:

Post a Comment