Friday, June 4, 2010

Save Our Coast

The situation in Louisiana (and along the entire Gulf Coast) is becoming more and more severe. Along with the obvious environmental problems, people are being laid off in drives as oil drilling is being shut down in the gulf. The brown pelicans, who were just taken off of the endangered species list, are now dangerously close to becoming endangered again.
Here are a couple of extremely sad pictures showing how the brown pelicans have been affected by the oil spill:


In case I needed more motivation to shop for safe products besides decreasing the risk for cancer, fertility problems, and hormone disruptions...I've been thinking about how everything that goes down the drain ends up in some sort of water supply. Not to be all eco-crazy...but we only have one Earth, so I think it makes sense to protect it.

On a side note: Last night, Chris and I made a trip to Whole Foods to get vitamins free of dyes and other junk. After picking out the vitamins, I let my nose lead me to the yummy smelling bath products aisle. After smelling pretty much every shampoo and conditioner in the aisle, getting headaches and numbing our sense of smell almost completely, we found some really great products! Whole Foods brand 365 sells a basic line of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. that come in chemical-free fragrances - grapefruit, lavender & mint. A huge bottle of shampoo was about 5 bucks, cheaper than a lot of traditional shampoos and conditioners. I also bought Alba mango-vanilla shaving cream on my sister-in-law's recommendation... and I'm pretty much in love with it. It's silky smooth and smells super delicious! We also made a leap into the world of eco (and skin) friendly laundry detergent (we choose Seventh Generation), which wasn't super expensive either. So there ARE affordable, safe products out there. A few small victories!

No comments:

Post a Comment